Tuesday 25 February 2014

This Week's New Music feat The Afghan Whigs, Real Estate, Oliver Wilde and more...

It's Friday already? Are you sure? Well it's a good thing I've kept my ear to the ground this past week and spotted a whole bunch of new music ready and waiting for you to check out.  



Nothing - Get Well I'd have my reservations about a band called Nothing. With a name like that I half-expected a Scandinavian funeral-doom band (and it isn't the easiest band name to google either), but the music itself but the music itself is a mix of big and atmospheric riffing with hushed dream pop vocals. This track Get Well seems like one of the more accessible cuts, mixing those shoegazing vocals with the kind of energetic guitar riffs that were coming out of Seattle in the early nineties. Nothing's debut album Guilty of Everything is coming out March 3 via Relapse Records.  

Real Estate - Crime
As a guitar player I couldn't help but like the fact that the new video for New Jersey Indie band Real Estate came in the form of a guitar tab tutorial. Whilst the guitarists among you can jam along, everyone else can still enjoy this shimmering piece of guitar pop from the group's forthcoming album Atlas . The record is nearly among us, coming out on March 3 through Domino.

Chelsea Wolfe & King Dude - Be Free This collaboration between King Dude and Chelsea Wolfe has popped up at the right time for me as I've recently found myself returning to Wolfe's fantastic 2013 album Pain Is Beauty. This duet takes on that classic Gothic folk trope of the doomed relationship with back an forth verses executed with masterful eeriness. The duo have reunite for a limited run seven inch single of collaborative songs entitled Sing More Songs Together... and it's out March 25th 2014 on Not Just Religious Music.  

The Afghan Whigs - Algiers Some how the news that the Afghan Whigs had reformed totally pasted me by. Only this week, with the announcement of a new album along with this new track Algiers, did I realise the 90's rock group were back together. That new track seems to have the rural plains of the wild west in its veins (and a suitable western video to match) and Greg Dulli voice is still unmistakable. The group's first album in sixteen years, Do to the Beast , out in April on Sub Pop Records  

Oliver Wilde - On This Morning Bristol based Oliver Wilde's hazy lo-fi outsider pop has always been on the periphery of my musical radar which is something I need to rectify. I'll start by sharing his new track On This Morning a track on which a string section seems to be twisted to Wilde's will to create their melody with his vocals, fittingly for the songs title, sound half awake but backed by an uplifting chorus of voices. His new album Red Tide Opal in the Loose End Womb is coming out through Howling Owl Records on May 5th.  

Ghost Culture - Half Open [Edit] I mentioned Ghost Culture and his debut single Mouth at the end of last year so I figured I follow up and give a mention of the upcoming UK producer's second release. His track's manage to balance the past and present, with analogue tones and drum machine's clearly indebted to techno's early days but with a clean modern presentation. Not to mention an ear for those big dance floor uniting moments like when the beat rolls back just after two and a half minutes. Ghost Culture's new single is out next week on Erol Aklan's Phantasy label.

Four Tet + Terror Danjah - Killer I know, I know, I seem to feature Four Tet every few weeks in this column, but the guy really has been restless recently. Now the London producer has teamed up with grime producer and Hyperdub affiliate Terror Danjah for a dirty and visceral new single Killer/Nasty. I've featured Killer here, the A-Side to the single, a tough and rhythmically detailed track which seem to transplant snippets old of dub top punctuate the tumbling beat. The single is out soon on Four Tet's own Text records.

No comments:

Post a Comment